Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fisse!

Copenhagen is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Fred had always told us stories of how great it is, how gorgeous the women are, how wonderful the weather is in the summer, etc. It has lived up to every hype I have ever heard. It is stealing me as I sit here with a cool breeze on my back overlooking a cobblestoned, red bricked late 1800's street, clean as new with the brightest white clouds passing by. The only way it could be better is if I didn't still have a hangover from Fernet-Branca, the herbal Italian liqueur that apparently has swept Denmark. That was two nights ago. Playing liar's dice with Fred's friends, going to a dorm party, which at 25, I thought was the worst idea ever, until I realized that in Europe, dorms have bars downstairs. So really, we just went to a bar, a wonderful bar. Fred's friends kept us laughing all night, until we had to walk home, which of course Mando and I entertained ourselves somehow. Feeling left out by speaking English, we decided to switch it up a bit and only speak Spanish or terrible UK english. They were the worst impressions ever, but kept us entertained for a bit of a warm, long stroll through the beautiful city back to Christianhavn, where Fred lives. We had a bit of an international politics discussion with the only other person walking on the street, a girl on her way to the airport in full rainbow clothing. She basically summed up the country for me. To me, it seems that Denmark, leading in the areas they can, have advanced as much as possible while holding on to their national pride and humor. Everyone smiles, and works hard, expecting the best out of themselves, their country, and the rest of the world. It's as if they are waiting for everyone to meet their standards. I absolutely love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment