Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pomegranate

Granada is spanish for pomegranate. Pomegranate is veg for awesome. The pomegranate was a big part of Al-Andalus, brought up by the moorish influence that dominated the area for such a long time. It came to represent the city of Granada itself, due to its rich flavor, its difficulty to actually be consumed, and its symbolism in sensuality, if you don't see it, I will not be explaining it, but I read that somewhere and I'm sticking with it. The city of Granada can still be evaluated in this way, difficult to open and devour, but once you're in, oh what an amazing experience it is. Upon arriving, I smelt one thing, urine. I decided not to get a map, just explore and see where I find myself, which oddly enough I found myself in some serious bazaar type markets, which lead to the doorstep of my hostel. How could it get better? Well for one, the hostel (Oasis) has a view off the roof, overlooking the city, and part of Alhambra, it's in a great location and great people frequent there, myself included. The sights and sounds and smells start to grow on you more than you would expect, even the urine, you just have to accept it, but oh the food...I could have eaten at one shwarma-kebob place every single day, it was unreal. The tapas were fantastic, and it seemed every place you sat you had a great view of something. You could people watch, look up at an enormous cathedral or palace, lose yourself in the mazes of colors, smells and fabrics that are the markets, even just stare at the ground where most of it is laid with marble, or intricately designed rock patterns in the shapes, names, and coats of arms of past rulers. Until you go up to Alhambra, and feel like you have conquered the city, you don't appreciate how difficult it must have been to let go of if you were Boabdil, (I think he's the last Nasrid king, but thats off the top of my head) or how badly you desired the city if you were Ferdinand and Isabel. Once you are up there, overlooking the city made up of so much history, culture, and ideals of coexistence, you realize the city is much more inviting than it is portrayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment